Syria’s authorities confirm that the US has delivered missile strikes at a military base in central Syria, the SANA news agency reported.
“One of our military bases in the central part (of the country) came under a missile strike this morning from the US, and as a result there are deaths,” a Syrian military source told the news agency.
On Thursday, Pentagon Spokesman Capt. Jeff Davis said that the US military launched a total of 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles. The Tomahawk cruise missiles were intended for a single target – Ash Sha’irat, home to an airfield from which the US intelligence believes the alleged chemical attack had been carried out.
The Fox News TV channel earlier reported that the US has two Navy warships in the eastern Mediterranean – the USS Ross and USS Porter – equipped with Aegis missile defense system and Tomagawk.
The missile strike comes in response to what Washington believes was the Syrian government’s use of banned chemical weapons in the province of Idlib on April 4.
The Russian and Syrian militaries denied their involvement in the attack. Russia’s Defense Ministry later said that on April 4, the Syrian air force had delivered an airstrike on the eastern outskirts of Khan Shaykhun to destroy militant facilities used to produce chemical bombs. These bombs were sent to Iraq and were previously used in Aleppo.