It appears that the United States is doing its best to shift the blame concerning deadly Mosul airstrikes to another side, told retired US Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Karen Kwiatkowski told.
The interview came after the UN said that it is profoundly concerned by reports about hundreds of casualties in alleged coalition airstrikes against the Daesh terrorist group in the Iraqi city of Mosul.
Earlier this week, media reported that around 200 civilians died in the raid in the embattled western part of the city.
Meanwhile, the US military is investigating whether it was responsible for the suspected casualties.
Officials told CNN that the Central Command is looking seriously into the matter, but does not contemplate a pause in regional military operations.
“It’s undeniable that there were civilian casualties in the Mosul airstrikes and now they have to deal with it,” Kwiatkowski said referring to media and social media reports confirming the civilian death toll.
According to her, the goal of the US Central Command’s current probe into the Mosul strikes is to try and shift the blame.
Meanwhile, the US-led coalition has claimed that its airstrike in western Mosul was allegedly carried out against ISIS militants at the request of Iraq.
“An initial review of strike data from March 16-23 indicates that, at the request of the Iraqi Security Forces, the Coalition struck ISIS fighters and equipment, March 17, in West Mosul at the location corresponding to allegations of civilian casualties,” the statement released on Saturday said.